"For words, like nature, half reveal and half conceal the soul within" (Tennyson).

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First Day Haiku

Tried something new this semester (Fall 2009) on my first day of English 100.

After going over the regular spiel--introducing the course syllabus, demonstrating how to use Blackboard, discussing assignments and projects, and talking about required materials, and so on--I ended class (early) by asking students to take a few moments to reflect on what they'd learned so far by writing a "First Day Haiku." I reviewed the haiku form and read mine aloud (already on the chalkboard), and then invited them to write their own haiku.

Here's a sampling of some of the better ones (mine's at the very end):

Sitting and waiting.
First class came and went quickly.
Enjoyable time.
(Sarai V.)

After many years
I sit here, hungry to learn.
Do I still have it?
(Martha M.)

English is a rose
Where words bloom from pen, and grow
To life on paper.
(Michelle K.)

Better topics here,
Much easier than last class.
I am in my place.
(Sammy S.)

When I go to class
I try my best and listen.
Sometimes it pays off.
(Makenna W.)

The school year is here.
Summertime is over now.
Time to get in gear.
(Keegan D.)

Students did not show
While others waiting got in.
Let the class begin.
(Jacob H.).

Sign in to Blackboard.
Read the assignment today.
Create your journey.
(Jonathan V.)

My first day of class.
I wonder if I will pass.
Hope and pray I will.
(Jon B.)

Many students come.
Some stay; some will disappear.
Who is here to learn?
(Elaine Minamide)



Note: thanks to Perry for this great idea that I stole!

No comments:

Post a Comment