"For words, like nature, half reveal and half conceal the soul within" (Tennyson).

Sunday, November 29, 2009

I am....

This is an email my husband sent me back in July 2007. I held on to it in my in-box for some reason.
I am 53! As I look over my students taking a test, I don't know how much longer I can keep teaching.

After 9 chapters, some students have been successfully molded, others are, shall we say, missing essential connections . . .
Students will only rise about half-way up to the level of the teacher. If the teacher is not too high up in the level of understanding, then the students will not get very far.
Teaching, then, depends on learning by the teacher. Not past learning, but present learning. At some point, the teacher gets too tired to learn. Then, the students stop learning, too.

I think I can take attendance, shuffle papers, and make dumb jokes for a while, but I don't know if I can teach for much longer...
So that's the question: how long can one keep teaching before he's all tapped out? 

No comments:

Post a Comment