"For words, like nature, half reveal and half conceal the soul within" (Tennyson).

Thursday, July 7, 2011

What Does an English Professor Look Like Anyway?

So it's 6:50 a.m. I'm one of the few people on campus. I'm dragging my rolling office behind me (a "Ricardo Elite" which we bought at Costco). It contains my notebook, textbook, folders, pens, pencils, tape, stapler, paper clips, scotch tape, dry erase markers, notebook clips, flash drives....etc.

In other words, I look like the adjunct professor that I am (real professors don't drag their offices behind them).

A guy driving a cart on the sidewalk approaches me. Mid thirties, maybe, with longish hair. I head towards the grass and stop, making way for the guy in the cart. I wave and smile, he waves back, in acknowledgment. Sidewalk courtesy. I walk on.

I'm about to turn the corner towards the MD building when I hear someone yelling something behind me. The guy in the cart has pulled over, stopped, gotten out of the cart, and is saying something to me.

"Do you teach English?"

"Um yes...how do you know? Have you taken one of my classes?"

"My girlfriend works in the bookstore. She says you're the prettiest English teacher on campus."

"Wait...but...what? Do I know her? What's her name? Did I teach her?"

"No, she's seen you in the store. I just guessed it was you."

Well, I just had to laugh out loud. What a sweet thing to say! (Maybe he says this to all the 50-something teachers pulling rolling briefcases behind them...?). I have to admit, this one kept me smiling for at least another half hour, even as I went from one copy room to another, looking for a copy machine that wasn't broken.

And wasn't it lucky for me that I happened to be looking pretty spiffy that day (if I do say so myself) in my brown leggings and flat slip-ons and layered tank tops and a short-sleeve khaki-colored tunic length dress (which I wear as a light jacket) accented by a jangly gold necklace which I'd tossed on last minute just before leaving the house this morning at 6:25 a.m. I guess I have a reputation to live up to. The "prettiest English professor" on campus better dress the part!

So the secret's out: I look like an English professor, and a pretty one at that.

But how did this guy know I taught English? I could have been a good looking Econ professor. I could teach science or math or physics, for all he knew. There are doubtless quite a few good-looking history instructors on campus.

But out of all the adjuncts on campus rolling their mobile offices behind them, he singled me out as an English professor.

Is it that obvious?

No comments:

Post a Comment