"For words, like nature, half reveal and half conceal the soul within" (Tennyson).

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Our Days are Numbered

Sad to hear of the passing of Gary Arthur, who died from what could have been complications of the flu related to diabetes. His death was apparently unexpected. Many comments on his Facebook memorial page express shock and sorrow. He was much admired and loved.

I too was shocked when I read that Gary had died. Who expects this kind of news? Gary was only 61, a new granddad, very much alive, apparently very much involved with his worship and church ministry. There seemed to be many years ahead of him.

Gary was a friend during the years our children were young and growing up. He and his ex-wife founded a small church, which my husband and I supported for a time before Gary's marriage fell apart. Our kids played together nearly every day.

Gary was a musician. He is remembered mostly for the role he played in the Calvary Church movement, particularly his contribution to contemporary worship music. He was a founding member of the Christian bands The Way and Parable.  Here's a picture that dates back to those early days. Gary is second from the right, leaning against a post.
Photo retrieved from Celebrate Gary Arthur Facebook page
I was never much of a contemporary Christian music fan, but I remember being touched by Gary's way of leading worship during the few years we were involved with his church. There was a sweetness and sincerity in his approach to worship that I responded to. 

The Bible talks about our days being numbered. There's the prayer in the Psalms, for example, where the writer says, "Teach me to number my days." There's the parable in the New Testament, about a man's soul being demanded of him that day. Lately, this notion of mortality has been on my mind. I'm in my mid-fifties. I feel as if I've squandered the best years of my life. How many "good" years are left?

I'm sure Gary is resting in peace, as the theme of being in God's presence was ever-present in his music. Surely he's experiencing great joy. Nevertheless, as Donne wrote, the death of any person diminishes me.

It was a privilege knowing you, Gary.

September 24, 1952 to January 5, 2013
 Teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
(Psalm 90:12)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment