"For words, like nature, half reveal and half conceal the soul within" (Tennyson).

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Radical Feminism: A Failed Experiment?

This article by Rebecca Walker (daughter of radical feminist Alice Walker, who wrote of The Color Purple), was published in 2008. I don't know if the two have reconciled since then. 

One might argue that Alice Walker is not representative of feminism, but I think Rebecca Walker would disagree. This is an extraordinarily personal critique, but the final paragraph sums up her broader perspective:
Feminism has betrayed an entire generation of women into childlessness. It is devastating. But far from taking responsibility for any of this, the leaders of the women's movement close ranks against anyone who dares to question them  -  as I have learned to my cost. I don't want to hurt my mother, but I cannot stay silent. I believe feminism is an experiment, and all experiments need to be assessed on their results. Then, when you see huge mistakes have been paid, you need to make alterations.
Read the entire article here: 
"How My Mother's Fanatical Views Tore Us Apart," by Rebecca Walker (Mail Online, May 23, 2008) 
More on Rebecca Walker and the controversy of her volatile and highly public estrangement from her mother here: 
"Rebecca Walker, Measuring Out a Mother's Love," by Theresa Wiltz, March 30, 2007, The Washington Post)
 Here's the memoir she wrote


No comments:

Post a Comment