"For words, like nature, half reveal and half conceal the soul within" (Tennyson).

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Stock Options?

The holidays are upon us, Samson! Time to whip up some stock. This year, I'm hosting the grand Thanksgiving feast, with at least one known vegetarian in our midst. So in addition to my traditional turkey stock, which I'll probably make a couple days before Thanksgiving so I don't have to freeze it, this year I'm also making a homemade vegetable broth, using a recipe I found on The Splendid Table ("nothing weak-kneed" about it). I plan on using this broth for the main dish I'm making to accompany the turkey, Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew with Tofu. This being a special occasion meal, nothing but homemade for my guest. 

It's a beautiful broth, so rich and full of flavors, which I attribute to the mushrooms. There's no salt, since it serves as a base for other recipes, but it barely needs any. It's pretty easy but does take a bit of time, not to mention over half a dozen bowls, vessels, colanders, and assorted kitchen utensils. Here are a few pictures!


In a non-stick pan or pot, sauté carrots, onions, celery, and mushrooms (I used a mix of Cremini and white) in olive oil, add minced garlic, and then de-glaze with a bit of white wine. 


Transfer ingredients to a large stock pot, add romaine lettuce (lettuce? why not chard? oh well, lettuce, it is), chopped tomato (I used canned), a sprinkling or two of nutmeg (don't have fresh, not that gourmet), and then about 4 quarts water. Simmer, partially covered for an hour and a half. By the way, what's nice about this stock is there's no icky foam to skim away the way there is when you make a stock out of bones.

After 90 minutes, strain stock through a colander lined with cheese cloth and let cool . . . 


. . . while cleaning up!


Distribute among smaller containers to freeze or use as needed. I'm sure there's a better method for freezing, but what I do is line the top of these containers with some plastic wrap, sort of pressing down on the surface, the idea being that there will be no air space to create ice crystals. Not sure if that works, but it's what I do for lack of other better options. 

Stock options! Ta da!

No comments:

Post a Comment