"For words, like nature, half reveal and half conceal the soul within" (Tennyson).

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Cat's Meow: Thoughts on a Tuesday Morning in an Empty Nest

6:30 a.m. 

Meowing unfettered going on in hallway. 

Husband left early for work. 

Youngest child, last to leave home, recently moved out, sleeping on an air mattress somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. 

The nest is empty.

Normally I would dislodge from beneath my cocoon of blanket and book to lure the cat into this back room and shut the door so as not to disturb the sleeping family. 

But there's no one in the house besides she and me. 

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" 

I stay bundled on my chair.


She appears. 

I am displaced. 
Someone will ask: If you're the only one home, why the blog post?

My reply: I want the universe to know what I put up with every morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment