"For words, like nature, half reveal and half conceal the soul within" (Tennyson).

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Naiveté, Ignorance, and Idealism: A Dangerous Combination

Breitbart article (below) about Kayla Mueller who was abducted and killed by ISIS paints a different picture of this young woman than I previously understood. 

She seems to have been more in sympathy with the plight of the Palestinians in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which would put her at odds with much of what I believe about this conflict (short version: I do not view Israel as an "occupier"). 


A dangerous combination, naiveté, ignorance, and idealism. 

While I sorrow for her untimely death, and am angry at the slowness and passivity of the Obama administration in terms of responding to the evil that is Islamic State ("we missed rescuing her by this much..."), I'm also disappointed in the fact that this twenty-something literally died for a cause that I don't think she fully understood. Millennials in general, and leftists, in particular, don't tend to listen to both sides of an issue. 


Dennis Prager explains the Middle East problem in five minutes in the video below: 




Perhaps people like Kayla would be less likely to jump on the anti-Israel bandwagon if they learned more about Israel's history. Nevertheless, I am sorry for this loss. Such a brave soul. I wish I had a fraction of her courage. 

Mueller Appears to Have Been Misled, by Joel B. Pollack

No comments:

Post a Comment